Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Short Sweet Trip...Very, Very Sweet!




We went to Colorado for a quick trip. Madelyn celebrated her 8th birthday by opening gifts and a meal at Olive Garden, her favorite restaurant.


Here we are playing king, queen, princess and prince.


How many of you remember the 1982 movie "Savannah Smiles"?

I remember taking my children to see it at the theatre. Deanna found a copy, and we all watched it together. Talk about nostalgic! Darren was about 8 years old when we first saw it--Madelyn's age now. I was about 34--a year older than Darren is now! I couldn't have told you the story before we started watching, but, every scene was familiar. It's a very sweet story of a little blonde girl with huge brown eyes who runs away from home because her rich parents don't give her enough attention. She ends up in the company of two criminals who she immediately wraps around her little finger. As always, Darren ended up in a hilarious wrestling match with the kids all over him. As I lay there on the couch watching the movie I had seen 26 years before with my 11, 8, and 6 year old children, and seeing my son enjoy his son and daughter, I thought, "It just doesn't get any better than this."


At night, PawPaw slept in Hayden's bottom bunk and Madelyn slept in the room with me. As we lay in bed each night, Madelyn and I continued a tradition she started on the last visit--we asked each other questions. The ingenuity of her questions amazed me, such as "What was your favorite age, and why?" "What was your mother like?" When I commented that she is the only person who asks me such questions, she said, "That's just how girls are!"

1 comment:

jennifer said...

OK, the picture of ya'll dressed up is too funny! Bryce got a good laugh out of it too.