Sunday, August 1, 2021

People Who Influenced Me - Rodney Foil


 One of the greatest influences in my life was my uncle, Rodney Foil. He and wife, Patti Sue Thomas Foil, took me in during college at a time of marital unrest in my own home. They offered me a peaceful home and a way to attend LSU. I doubt they knew how closely I watched and learned from all they said and did. I watched how they disciplined and loved their children with patience and wisdom, how they decided matters between themselves, and the respect they showed to every person. Long talks around their kitchen table covered topics of education, career, marriage, family, racism, religion. No one had ever talked to me like that before. It was adult talk! They accepted and understood me.

 I drank in the calm. Patti Sue was a role model to me in many ways – a perfect mom and homemaker, but intelligent and free thinking. Their encouragement and a place to live made it possible for me to finish college. An imprint of what a family might be was made.  Rodney’s patient, kind and calm manner became my model for an ideal husband. He continued to be a rock to me until his death on February 4, 2018. He continues to be a father figure, although he was only 13 years older than I.  

Each of my children has said that he seemed to fill a grandfather-void in their lives. He liked to say he takes a little credit for how each of them turned out. He deserved so much more than “a little” credit!

Ralph shot this candid photo in July 2017 as Rodney and I scrounged through the last of his files for things he wanted to pass on to me.. He gave me much of the family photos and “stuff” because he said I was the only one in the family interested. We loaded up my great-grandfather’s blacksmith shop and moved in to my back yard. I guess I suspected this might be my last visit with him, but I couldn’t bear to think it.  





1 comment:

Robert G. said...

I knew Patti in Highschool AND Rodney at LSU and later crossed paths at Miss Stae U