Saturday, July 31, 2021

People Who Influenced Me - Earl Odell Foil

 



My grandfather, Earl Odell Foil, had a calm, quiet and patient manner. I adored PawPaw’s calmness. His quietness seemed a strength to me. My mother influenced my respect for him because she portrayed him as a perfect father in her childhood.  He never showed anger. I will admit we didn’t have much to talk about, but he showed me his garden, took me riding on the back of his tractor and told me about armadillos he had seen in the year. Just sitting on the porch side by side felt like security. I admired that he was a deacon in the Baptist church. Because I went to church alone as a child, I longed to go where my grandfather was “the deacon.” I wished I could live in a small town like Bogalusa where MY grandfather was the Postmaster!

No comments: